Keep your children healthy all summer with these fun and healthy snack recipes!
Watermelon Honeydew Kabobs with Dressing:
· 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
· 3 Tbs. honey
· 1 1/2 tsp. poppy seeds
· 1/4 tsp. salt
· 2-3 pound honeydew melon, halved, seeded
· 1 small seedless watermelon, cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices
· 24 6-inch bamboo skewers
1. Whisk first 4 ingredients in medium bowl
2. Gradually whisk in oil
3. Using large melon-baller, scoop out 72 balls of honeydew
4. Using 1 1/4-inch round fluted cookie cutter, cut out 48 rounds from watermelon slices
5. Alternate 3 honeydew balls and 2 watermelon rounds on each skewer
Note: This can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover dressing and kabobs separately; chill. Serve kabobs with dressing.
Cottage Cheese Dip for Vegetables
· 2 (8 ounce) cartons low fat cottage cheese
· 1 cup (4 ounce) shredded low fat process American cheese
· 3 TBS plain unsweetened low fat yogurt
· 2 TBS prepared horseradish
· 1/2 teaspoon pepper
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 2 TBS chopped green pepper
· 2 TBS minced onion
1. Mix all ingredients together and chill for at least one hour before serving.
2. Serve with sticks of celery, carrots, cucumber, cherry tomatoes and broccoli florets for a gourmet crudite platter.
3. Variation: Add salsa as a top layer or mix in with other ingredients for added flavor and color